The Student Outreach and Retention Center works to build students towards academic success through collaborations with other organizations and clubs on campus.
See what programs we offer below:
- Be an enrolled student in an undergraduate major or graduate program at UCI during Fall Quarter 2021.
- Minimum 2.0 GPA. Applicants who are incoming freshmen or first-year transfer students must submit unofficial transcripts with your application.
- Have a record of volunteer or community service, with a preference of service within the Black community
- Be either an Umoja program participant, an active member involved with the SOAR Center*, the Center for Black Cultures, Resources and Research** or be committed to or engaged in efforts that support the Black community at UCI.
- Student must align with the Umoja practices:
- Engage in conscious dialogue, discourse, and deliberate learning
- A willingness to share your experiences authentically with an ethic of love
- Share what you have learned with your community to develop communal building
- Cultivate spaces to foster cultural pride and belonging informed by historical experiences of the African diaspora
- Participate in community mentorship
Students may apply for a maximum of $1,000 per scholarship application/per quarter.
*Active involvement with the SOR Center can include being a member of a registered campus organization (RCO) that was a part of the SOARing for Education Affiliation program during the 2020-2021 academic year or is a part of the SOARing for Education Affiliation program during the 2021-2022 academic year.
**Active involvement with the Center for Black Cultures, Resources, and Research means participating in 2021 Fall Harvest or at least four meetings of Sista Circle, Wabruda, or Black QT Chats during the 2020-2021 academic year.